It is common knowledge that Indonesia itself has a lot of very unique and cool cultures. No exception to the traditional ceremonies, one of them is Indonesian wedding culture.
Customary wedding ceremonies in Indonesia which seized the attention of one of them is the Batak wedding ceremony. In this article, you will learn more about facts of wedding ceremony of Batak tribe, one of the famous cultures in Indonesia.
Have you ever wondered about how the customary marriage is done by the Batak tribe? Yes, this Batak tribe who originated from North Sumatra indeed gave birth to a lot of cultures that will amaze you. T
he uniqueness is also given when the traditional Batak wedding ceremony. Curious about how wonderful wedding ceremony of Batak tribe? C’mon, pay attention! You’ll find out this wedding ceremony is gonna be the most popular traditional wedding ceremonies in Indonesia.
Well, this is the initial stage of marriage performed by the Batak tribe. Paranakkon hata itself means to convey the proposal by paranak (the man) to the parboru (the woman).
Here, later from the woman’s side will immediately give an answer to the ‘erroneous’ men on the same day. Wow, how funny! Like delivering a message in ancient times.
Next is the marhusip stage. Marhusip itself is actually a discussion process that will discuss the procedures that must be carried out by the paranak in accordance with local adat provisions (ruhut adat in huta i) and in accordance with the wishes of the parboru (the woman).
Well, the thing to remember, at this stage the Masawin (sinamot) was never discussed. All that can be discussed is matters relating to Marhata Sinamot and other provisions. The parties that carry out marhusip are from dongan-tubu, boru-tubu, and dongan-sahuta.
The next stage is Marhata Sinamot. Parties who follow marhata sinamot are 2-3 people each from dongan-tubu, boru and dongan-sahuta. They later could not bring anything to eat, except snacks and drinks.
In this process, what will be discussed later will only consist of sinamot and jambar sinamot. Well, Indonesian culture activities are such a thing.
Yep, we are going to the next stage! In this process, it has been decided that definite provisions regarding sinamot, provisions of jambar sinamot to jalo todoan, provisions of sinamot to parjambar na gok, provisions of sinamot to parjambar sinamot, parjuhut, jambar juhut, place of ceremony, date of ceremony, provisions regarding ulos to be used, provisions regarding ulos-ulos to paranak parties, and provisions on adat. There are several stages in this process, namely:
- Marpudun saut means realizing what is said in Paranak Hata, Marhusip and marhata sinamot.
- After that, everything discussed at the three previous discussion levels will then be summarized as one for later endorsed by the traditional elders. This process is called dipudun saut.
- After all matters have been decided and approved by the paranak and parboru, the next step is to submit bohi ni sinamot (dowry advance) to parboru in accordance with mutually agreed terms. After the bohi ni sinamot arrived at the parboru, a group meal and padalan jambar (jambar distribution) were held.
- In marpudun saut there was no talk of sinamot bargaining, because it was immediately notified to the audience, then the parsinabung beneficiaries took over the talks. Pariban is the first party given the opportunity to speak, followed by simandokkon, pamarai, and finally by Tulang.
- After finishing the conversation with Jalo Todoan, the decision of the half-brother is over. Then, the decision was submitted to paranak to carry out the surrender of bohi ni sinamot and bohi ni sijalo todoan. The rest will be handed over at the peak of the event, which is during the wedding ceremony later.
The next process is called Unjuk. All marriage ceremonies (ulaon rallies) must be performed in the women’s compound (alaman ni parboru), wherever the ceremony takes place. Well, here’s the sequence of stages:
a. Calling clay ni Boru muli bone continues with determining the seat. Regarding seating in the marriage ceremony described in Dalihan Na Tolu.
b. Preparing food:
1. Paranak gives Na Margoar Ni Sipanganon from Parjuhut Horbo.
2. Parboru convey dengke (fish, usually carp)
Do a Prayer Before Eating
This process consists of responses by paranakabung paranakabung, which are then continued by parsinabung ni parboru. Then, there will be responses from paranakabung parsinabung and parboru responses.
Pasahat Sinamot and Todoan
Mangulosi and Padalan Olopolop
Well, this stage is the closing stage, where the closing prayer is done. This closing prayer is a sign of the completion of the Batak Toba traditional wedding ceremony.
So, that’s all about facts of wedding ceremony of Batak tribe. That’s such romantic, isn’t it? Don’t forget to save our culture heartfully. How to preserve Indonesian culture? By loving the culture, of course!